Zesty and Sweet Pickled Red Onions
Pickled onions are a versatile and tasty condiment that can add a tangy twist to a variety of dishes.
They’re the perfect accompaniment to tacos, sandwiches, salads, and burgers, and can even be used as a topping for grilled meats or vegetables.
Best of all, making your own pickled onions at home is easy and cost-effective, and allows you to customize the flavor to your liking.
Zesty And Sweet Pickled Red Onions
- 1-2 red onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes or cayenne powder optional, for heat
- Prep the red onions by peeling the outer skin off and cutting off the ends. Cut the onion in half from the root end to the stem end. Then, slice the onions thinly using a sharp knife. Put them in a jar.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the water, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup or honey, salt, and chilli flakes (if using). Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring until the salt has dissolved.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the onions in the jar, making sure they are fully covered. If necessary, add more vinegar or water to cover the onions.
- Seal the jar or container tightly and let the pickled onions sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or until they reach your desired level of tartness and flavor.